Saturday, September 6, 2014

Why I Yoga



Every year on NYE I try to make this crazy list of things I'm going to stop doing and another even crazier list of ways to better myself. This January I signed up for a hot yoga membership at Big Yoga and it has been the best decision I have made in a long time. One of the very first classes I took I remember my teacher saying "There are no mistakes in life. Every decision has brought you to this moment. You are exactly where you are supposed to be." This has been my motivation for the year.

I started my practice week and wanting to see what all the buzz was about. I wanted to feel strong and know that I could do anything I wanted. 

So why hot yoga?
 
1. It calms
I started mostly going to the 10pm yoga classes after work, dinner, and a nap. I needed a way to unwind at the end of a stressful day. Just being on my mat and breathing the incense was the best start to relaxation. After a full 60 min class of stretching and moving I got that amazing cold lavender towel and felt renewed. It really is the best way to end your day and gets you relaxed and ready for bed.

2. You become strong
(The first time I saw bird of paradise I thought they must be a wizard or something)
I have never been able to touch my toes or lift more than 50 lbs. I ran cross country and track and never had a need for muscles. Well you don't need muscles to be strong and yoga has helped my go from chicken arms to powerful little things. You don't have to practice perfect you just have to practice the best you can. Each day I feel stronger and ready to conquer something new.

3. You love your body
(I love eagle and the way I feel perfectly content holding it)
Everyone struggles with some kind of body image or another and being an ex competitive runner has changed the way I view my body. I used to be tiny and it was hard for me to adjust to a normal weight. I didn't like my body and what I saw in the mirror. After doing yoga for a few months I stopped seeing my body as an object and more of a machine. I was proud of what I could do and felt physically strong and amazing. I went from resenting what my body had become to loving what it could do.

4. You learn about yourself 
During each practice you have X amount of time to work out. You sweat laugh and feel it all. I learned that I can do way more than my mind thinks I can. I went from having an inner bitch to having an inner boss. From saying yeah that isn't going to happen to saying oh I can do that too! Yoga has taught me to push the boundaries I have set for myself and realize that I can do whatever I want. 

5. You learn to let go
This year has been a lot of ups and downs. I have struggled to understand things I can't control and learned through daily practice that I'm doing it right. Marcy is one of my favorite teachers because of the way she sets an intention for each class. It always feels reflective of what's going on in my life. When she was gone I missed her and when she came back with her news I was shocked. I remember her standing up in the front of the studio and telling us that she was going through chemo. Then she said that cancer was the problem and we were her solution. She could either live the problem or live the solution and I thought that was perfect. Letting go of the negative to make room for the positive. We do it with every breath in class literally letting go of the old breath to make room for clean new fresh air. I can't wait to get back and take another class from her!

6. You get DownDog 
My favorite class is Hot and Heavy Saturday Night! From the fun playlist to the booty shaking it's just fun to dance while practicing. Most classes have music and it can really get you going or calm you down depending on the playlist. I have been taking classes at a studio in Ventura CA called Jai Rhythm and they have more meditative music but anytime a beat is dropped in I feel like I'm back at Big Yoga. It is just a fun way to exercise!

Yoga has changed my life! If you have ever thought of trying out hot yoga DO IT! You will love the people and atmosphere. If you want someone to go with you your first time you know where to find me...




No comments:

Post a Comment