Saturday, April 12, 2014

Decorating the apt

I wanted to turn my room into an inspirational space for travel. I'm obsessed with map art and almost everything I make uses maps so I thought why not cover my wall in maps? The first one I found was an AWESOME junk sale purchase. I bought the US map at Junk Hippie Roadshow and really regret not buying the other one that was being sold with it! I had my sister write out Not All Who Wander Are Lost and then painted on top of it. The rest of he maps were purchased at Half Price books for $2-$8 each. The frames and art added above my bed are a combination of GoodWill finds, paint, and pictures I have made.


All our findings from Junk Hippy



Spent a few hours going through all the maps at Half Price Books but it was worth it!




For the maps I tried to use poster tape but they were too heavy so I had to nail them in. I cut them to fit together and hung them on the wall.




The blue frame with all the small pictures I glues twine on the back and attached my pictures with clothes pins.
The wooden frame was a garage sale find from my grandparents. I made the  calander from a picture I took at Coachella which I nailed into the frame.
The black frame was from GoodWill I painted and added the Lana Del Rey print that I printed from Archivers. 
The white frame is backed with burlap and I glued te screen printed whale onto the top. Bought the print at Junk Hippie Road Show.
The blue canvas was another craft I made. I took a blank canvas and glued pieces of paper from magazine cut outs to it. When I was done I put down scrapbooking letters on top of it to say what I wanted it to say. Then I took the paint and painted 2 coats on top of everything. I let it dry for an hour then I pealed the letters off. I made sure it was all dry then I did a layer of Mod Podge to seal it all in!

Supplies:
Old frames
Old maps
Scissors
Nails
Hammer
Twine
Primer 
Paint
Foam Brush
Canvas
Mod Podge
Clothes Pins
Pictures, Art, or Paper to display

1 comment:

  1. I wanna see it in person! That's amazing! I want to do something like that after graduation.

    ReplyDelete